Internet Marketing 101
1. Domain registration is the foundation on which you build a successful Internet marketing strategy. It surprises me how many people end up wasting time, or in the worst case scenario lose their domain name and end up spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy it back from a “domain jumper,” simply because they didn’t take 10 to 15 minutes once a year to properly manage their domain registration.
2. Don’t assume your webmaster will properly take care of your domain registration for you as part of the services you buy with them unless it is specifically agreed to as part of your hosting or other support services. Even if they do, you’ll want to confirm they are properly managing your domain registration information.
3. Key Term: Domain Registrar – an agency which provides domain name registration services to individuals and businesses. This agency is, for all intents and purposes, the middle-man between the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and an individual or business. It’s how the domain registration system was set-up. You cannot register a domain directly with ICANN.
4. Is your domain registered with a domain registrar where you have 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, 365 days a year telephone support? I highly recommend Go Daddy as a domain registrar, so much that if your current domain registrar is NOT Go Daddy, I recommend you move it there.
5. Is your domain registered appropriately? Is it registered to you personally, or your company, or possibly your webmaster, an old webmaster, or someone else?
6. When does your domain registration expire? Does it automatically renew? If it expires within the next six months renew it now for a five year period.
7. Is your domain registration information correct? Does it have your current mailing address and most importantly a current and active email address?
8. Do you have your login and password information readily available so you can change and/or manage your domain registration if you need to (usually through a “control panel”).
9. Do you have a complete back-up of your website, one quickly available on your computer as a digital back-up, a second on a CD-ROM put in a safe place?
10. Is your website hosted with a company or person where you have 24 hour a day, 7 day a week, 365 days a year telephone support?